The Health Benefits of Rosewater
If you enjoy kombucha and healthy smoothies, here’s something that might interest you. Rosewater is not as popular as tea and coffee, but it does have many health benefits and also a beautiful color. That said, does rosewater taste good? How do you make rosewater at home? We’ll go over all of these questions and more in this complete rosewater recipe guide.
Rose water (or rosewater) is simply water with petals from a rose flower that you steep into the water. This will add flavor to the water, as well as color it with a tint of red and a tint of pink.
Furthermore, rosewater is often used for cosmetics and for flavoring food. But what’s even more surprising is that rose water contains many vitamins and nutrients that are good for your health, which is why it is a good idea to make some at home. It’s easy, fun, and also tastes delicious!
If you were wondering where rose water was first discovered, it is claimed that Persians (Iranians) were using rosewater centuries ago. As a matter of fact, nowadays almost every household in Iran has a bottle of rosewater in the kitchen for cooking and for greeting guests.
What’s Rose Syrup?
Now, rose syrup is a bit different than rose water, as you will need to add lots of sugar into your rose water in order to make it. After putting the sugar or sweetener in your rosewater, you will need to simmer it for at least 10 minutes. Once you strained the rose mixture, you will get an unctuous rose syrup that you can use with your desserts or with fruits or tea.
What are the health benefits of rosewater?
In ancient Persia, Golab was the name used for rose water. It is no coincidence that Iran’s ancestors were drinking rose water or using it as a perfume, as the latter offers many incredible health benefits, as shown below:
- Enhances your mood
- Relieves headaches
- Soothes skin irritation
- Contains antioxidants
- Can reduce skin redness
- Very good against sore throats
- Heals cuts, scars, and burns
- Helps prevent and treat infections
If you are wondering how to use rose water, it’s pretty simple. You can put some in your bath water, or put some on your face and slowly massage your skin. That’s right, rose water can be used in many ways, not just as a healthy drink.
Can you use rose water for your face?
Yes, you can soak a cotton or cloth into rose water and gently rub your cheeks and forehead with your rosewater toner. This will efficiently hydrate your skin and even in some cases remove the first signs of wrinkles.
However, be careful, if you see that the rosewater is making your skin become red or itchy, we strongly advise discontinuing its use. As with many other natural toners, it is normal that some people get allergic reactions or that their sensitive skin reacts differently. That said, don’t worry, the side effects should disappear shortly after your last use of the rosewater.
DIY Make your own rose water at home!
You may be surprised to know that making your own rose water at home is very easy and only requires 2 ingredients: rose petals and distilled water.
Here’s the best recipe to make homemade rosewater:
- First, you will remove the rose petals from the stems. Make sure to have enough roses for your recipe. We recommend at least 5 to 10 fresh rose flowers.
- In a large pot, put all the petals in there and add water just enough so it covers the petals. Don’t forget, the more water you put, the more diluted your final mixture is going to be.
- Over medium-low heat, you will bring the water in the pot to a simmer temperature and cover. Try to keep an eye on your recipe from time to time, at least once every 5 minutes.
- Now, for at least 20 to 30 minutes, you will let your rose petals simmer in the water. To know if it’s ready, you will notice at some point that the petals are losing their color and becoming a bit pale. If you notice that, then it means it’s time to go to the next step.
- Thereafter, you will need to thoroughly strain the rosewater so you only keep the water. Make sure that nothing from the petals remains in the pink liquid.
- Finally, try to find a beautiful glass jar to pour the rose water in. You can discard the petals in the trash or use them as compost.
As an extra tip, know that you can use a standard spray bottle and put some rose water inside the latter and shake it. That way, you just made your very own homemade rosewater face toner! To use your rosewater spray, simply spray it directly on your face and let the water rest on your skin for a few minutes. Afterward, you can wipe it clean with a clean cloth.
Is rose water good for your hair?
You will be happy to know that yes, rosewater can help your hair in many ways and since it’s very cheap to make, you can use it whenever you want. Here’s a list of the different benefits of rose water for your hair:
- Rosewater can reduce oiliness and dandruff
- It also has anti-inflammatory properties which are good against some scalp conditions
- Can help with curly hair and down frizz
- Can prevent psoriasis and eczema
Can I use rose water as a perfume?
Of course, you can use rose water as a perfume since it’s the perfect fragrance base for creating a relaxing and natural perfume. A little tip is to add a few drops of essential oils in a spray bottle with rose water. This will give a summer vibe to your perfume scent.
All in all, we can safely say that rose water is very useful, not only for one’s health but also for many other purposes. Who would have thought that a rose flower was able to do all of this?